In 1930 Rev. John W. Owen of Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno accepted the pastorate at Heath. He had returned home in 1927 after more than twenty years service with the China Inland Mission, both as a missionary and an ordained minister.
Under his experienced guidance the church met the challenges of the time. A determined stand for the purity of the Christian Gospel was made against the growth of “liberal theology”. A notable increase in missionary activity occurred, with members going to India and China. The church’s work and witness were maintained despite severe restrictions during the Second World War, shortly after which Rev. Owen retired.
Rev. J. Glyn Owen had served as a student pastor at Heath during summer vacations for three years prior to his appointment in 1948.
The church’s attachment to the “Forward Movement” had ended when it was transferred to the Glamorgan Presbytery, but Rev. Owen maintained a strong evangelical witness.
His pastorate saw a rapid expansion of work amongst students and young people, and in general outreach in the area through evangelistic missions and campaigns before he moved to Wrexham in 1954.
Rev. W. J. (Jack) Sharman was well-known to church members through his service as a missionary in China from 1934-50. After his ordination in 1951 he ministered in Cardiff and became pastor at Heath in 1954.
Rev. Sharman’s pastorate was a fruitful period for the church as a succession of young people began training for the ministry and the mission field. His own burden for missionary work remained undiminished and in 1961 he and his wife moved to London to join the staff of the Overseas Missionary Fellowship – formerly the China Inland Mission.